[Jobs] Senior Scientific Perl Developer - Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Cambridge
vvi at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Jun 14 22:33:19 BST 2011
Hello London Perl Mongers,
We are having little luck recruiting for a mature perl programmer to work in our group. I have included the job ad and links to more information below.
In an attempt to avoid the pitfalls of the last recruitment round, let me add these points:
1) We are looking for someone with solid perl experience, so you should be able to comfortably use it to solve a simple specified problem - we'll test for this.
2) Yes, the salary is lower than a commercial rate. Note also that the salary band covers everyone on the Sanger Institute campus who works in these developer roles, including quite experienced staff. Applicants with no bioinformatic experience should not expect to be offered salaries close to the top of the band. On the other hand: our work / life balance is more academic than commercial, Sanger has good employee benefits, and it is cheaper to live in Cambridge and villages close to Sanger than in London.
3) We are nice people, we are interested in the science we support, we enjoy what we do and working on this campus.
Feel free to refer this ad onto colleagues who might be interested. I would also welcome general feedback about the job posting.
High Throughput Gene Targeting
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
vvi at sanger.ac.uk
Here's the ad:
Senior Scientific Perl Developer - Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Cambridge
Salary range from £27,316 to £37,690 per annum.
We are seeking an experienced software developer to join the informatics team in the High Throughput Gene Targeting group. We work on a number of projects that aim to make a rich variety of mutations in Embryonic Stem Cells, to help the scientific community research gene function. The ideal candidate will be an excellent Perl programmer with a strong interest in bioinformatics and the support of leading-edge research in molecular biology. You will be working as part of a small team developing software to support the laboratory's production pipelines, and will work closely with our molecular biologists to ensure that the software you deliver is effective.
You must have
• Experience and fluency with Perl
• A good working knowledge of database design and SQL
• An interest in bioinformatics
• An ability to learn quickly on the job
We work as a close team, so good communication skills in the context of the team are important.
A qualification in Biological computing is not essential but an interest in the science and ability to learn fast is key. The campus runs frequent courses to allow staff to augment their technical skills.
The application form and more information - the websites we deploy, our collaborators, the scientific group etc is available from here:
You can also welcome to contact me informally about the position.
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research
Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a
company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered
office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Jobs