[ANNOUNCE] GLLUG Meeting - Tuesday 18th April

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Tue Apr 4 15:30:19 BST 2006

(FWDd from the GLLUG list)

Hello,

There will be two GLLUG meetings this month.

Tuesday 18th April.
===================

On Tuesday evening we will be meeting in the New Cavendish Street campus
of Westminister University at 1900.

Our speakers for the evening will be Jono Bacon and Ted Haeger.

Jono Bacon works for Open Advantage in the West Midlands, is a
journalist and a presenter on LUG Radio

Ted Haeger works for Novell and is the presenter on the Novell Open
Audio Podcast.

The talk will be on Linux Advocacy...

"In this entertaining and humorous talk, Jono will share some
techniques and pointers about effectively advocating Open Source.
Riddled with anecdotes and stories, the presentation provides a good
grounding for those of you who want to help do you bit to push Open
Source and free software forward to more people."

Links:

http://reverendted.blogspot.com/
http://www.jonobacon.org
http://www.lugradio.org
http://www.novell.com/openaudio

Saturday 22nd April
===================

On Saturday we will be meeting in the same location at 1330.

We have one speaker confirmed so far.

Shane Coughlan is a fellow of the FSFE.

The talk will be on the FSFE, DRM and Free software in general...

"The talk is a general introduction to Free Software as a concept, and
the Free Software Foundation Europe as a body.  We will answer questions
people have about the purpose of this particular movements, clarify the
relationship between the various Free Software Foundations around the
world, and explore why politics and technology have become intertwined.
 The talk with touch on issues like intellectual property, DRM, and the
way business needs to be encouraged rather than rejected in Free
Software models.  We will also have a look at how governments and legal
systems are changing to cope with the new paradigm of digital
technology, and we'll look at where we ? as hobbiests and users ? fit
into this picture."

Links:

http://www.fsfe.org
http://www.shaneland.co.uk/

I am trying to arrange another speaker for the Saturday meeting at the
moment. If anyone would like to volunteer to speak, or knows of a
potential speaker please let me know. Also there would be time for some
flash presentations if you only want to present a 5 minuter.

I hope that you will be able to make one or both of these meetings.

See you there.

~sm