[ANNOUNCE] London.pm - January '08 Meeting (3rd).

Greg McCarroll greg at mccarroll.org.uk
Sat Dec 29 08:49:56 GMT 2007

London.pm - January '08 Meeting (3rd).

Apologies for the late notice, I wanted to hit the perceived sweet
spot for an announcement of a working day between Chrimbo and
the New Year, but due to confusion over what day of the week it was,
a deliberate effort to avoid computers and death by goose, my timing
has been a little off.

All this is made worse by the fact that our excellent pub minion, Kake,
arranged the pub as far back as 6/12. So well done Kake, shame on me
and my problems with dates/days/goose.

Anyway, this month's meeting will be at the Edgar Wallace, 40 Essex
Street, WC2R 3JF. We've got the function room upstairs however it
would have cost cash to get the upstairs bar staffed so it'll be
shuttle runs with kitty in hand downstairs. Food will be served
until 9.30pm.

 http://london.randomness.org.uk/wiki.cgi?Edgar_Wallace%2C_WC2R_3JF
 http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.5127507577524,-0.112775430876004

I've never been to this pub, but I had a quick look on their own website
and I'm pretty impressed at their list of ales and guest ales. The
website is also worth a look for a little history of the place and
the writer it's named after. Like most places near Temple, the pub
has featured a cast of famous names from history over the years.

As always feel free to thank Kake the pub minion with either cidah
and/or by adding any comments you have about the pub's to the RGL (thats
the non-google link above, as well as being our pub minion Kake helps
run the site).

Std blurb ...

Social meets are a chance for the various members of the group to meet
up face to face and chat with each other about things - both Perl and
non Perl - and newcomers are more than welcome. The monthly meets tend to
be bigger than the other ad hoc meetings that take place at other times
and we make sure that they're in easy to get to locations and the pub
serves food (meaning that people can eat in the bar if they want to.)
They normally start around 6.30pm (or whenever people get there after
work) and a group tends to be left come closing time.

If you're a new comer or other first timer (even if you've been lurking
on the mailing list or on IRC) then please seek me out - we have a
tradition that the leader of this motley crew buys the new people a
drink (alcoholic or not, either's fine) and introduce them to people.

Getting there ...

 By bus:	4,11,15,23,26,76,172,341
    		(plus another pile of buses that'll take you to
                 Kingsway)
 By tube:	Dis/Cir: Temple
    		Pic/Cen: Holborn
 By train:	Blackfriars

Nice one Kake, It certainly seems to be scoring high on both the ale and
(travel) connectivity fronts.

Greg