[ANNOUNCE] September social - Thurs 4 Sep - Crown, Clerkenwell Green

Kake L Pugh kake at earth.li
Tue Aug 26 16:27:29 BST 2008

Hello!  For the September social, we're going somewhere we've not been
before - the Crown on Clerkenwell Green.  We have the upstairs function
room booked from 6:30pm.  There's no bar up there, but they do offer
table service.

It's a short walk from Chancery Lane station (Central line) and an
even shorter one from Farringdon station (Circle, Hammersmith & City,
Metropolitan lines).  Buses 55, 63, 153, and 243 all stop nearby.

Maps, more info, etc:
  http://london.randomness.org.uk/wiki.cgi?Crown_Tavern,_EC1R_0EG

When I checked it out last week, they had Westons cider, Adnams
Bitter, London Pride, and Landlord on handpump, as well as Aspall's
cider on tap, Fruli and Peche beers in bottles, and various lagers.
They also, of course, do food - I only tried the whitebait, but on
the evidence of that, it's perfectly fine.

Standard blurb:

Social meets are a chance for the various members of the group to meet
up face to face and chat with each other about things - both Perl and
non-Perl - and newcomers are more than welcome.  The monthly meets tend to
be bigger than the other ad hoc meetings that take place at other times,
and we make sure that they're in easy to get to locations and the pub
serves food (meaning that people can eat in the bar if they want to).
They normally start around 6.30pm (or whenever people get there after
work) and a group tends to be left come closing time.

If you're a newcomer or other first timer (even if you've been lurking
on the mailing list or on IRC) then please seek Greg out - we have a
tradition that the leader of this motley crew buys the new people a
drink (alcoholic or not, either's fine) and introduces them to people.