[ANNOUNCE] opentech 2008 - announcement and call for participation

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Wed Feb 20 10:34:31 GMT 2008

OpenTech is an informal, low-cost one-day grassroots event that we put
on every couple of years for people in the UK to get together and talk
about digital technology, its impacts on society and - newly added
this year - the environment.  In previous years we heard from the
founder of the Internet Archive and the man behind BitTorrent, saw the
launch of TheyWorkForYou.com, and triggered the creation of the Open
Rights Group.  We also had a presentation from a chap who'd made a
semi-reliable clock out of an old PC and a prawn sandwich, so it's not
all serious stuff.

We're accepting proposals for talks between today and the 30th March,
The full details are below, and there's more information on our
website (http://www.ukuug.org/events/opentech2008/).

Etienne

    Call for Participation - OpenTech 2008

    Saturday 5 July 2008, London, UK

        Presented by UKUUG in association with mySociety + Open Rights Group
        http://www.ukuug.org/events/opentech2008/

    *What is OpenTech 2008?*
        A low-cost, one-day grassroots conference with a wide range of
        sessions covering digital technology, society and
        the environment

    *What do we need?*
        Proposals from people who want to give a
        presentation, run a panel, organise a workshop, or
        run a demo of something new and interesting

        Publicity - please blog this announcement, write a
        newspaper article, forward to mailing lists, and
        tell your friends!

    *What topics do we hope to cover?*
        - Mashups, open data and security
        - Future of media distribution
        - Low-carbon and low-impact living
        - New adventures in hardware hacking
        - Politics 2.0
        - Long term thinking on big problems and massive opportunities

        - If you've got an interesting proposal that doesn't fit into any of
          the categories above, please send it in anyway!

    *How do I submit a proposal?"
        Please use the form on http://www.ukuug.org/events/opentech2008/
        The deadline for submissions is midnight on Sunday 30 March 2008

    *Can I buy or reserve a ticket to the event?*
        Register at http://www.ukuug.org/events/opentech2008/list
        and we'll email you nearer the time with more information

    *Any other questions?*

        If you have any other questions, or want to make us
        an offer we can't refuse, please visit
        http://www.ukuug.org/events/opentech2008/ for more
        information and contact details of the event
        organisers

    OpenTech 2008 organisers (Ben Lamb, Etienne Pollard, Sam Smith)
    http://www.ukuug.org/events/opentech2008/