Looking for a nice and friendly company to registry a .com domain...

Jens Porup jens at porup.com
Wed Nov 16 08:55:06 GMT 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 08:25:18AM +0100, David Landgren wrote:
> Jens Porup wrote:
> >The cheapest hosting/registration outfit I know is
> >http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/
> >
> >They're very, very cheap. You get your own virtual FreeBSD instance, all
> >the usual
> >open source goodies.
> >
> >One caveat: host your MX record somewhere else, like fastmail.fm, or your
> >own server.
> >They are RFC Nazis about email.
>
> god, I wish more people were.
>
> /me regrets the olde days when you couldn't even connect to an ftp
> server if your reverse DNS didn't line up.

I admire them immensely. They are highly competent techies with a strong
sense of principle. I love their hosting model, and I give themm all my
personal hosting business.

But just too many people running email servers don't seem to do it
properly, and I was losing too many emails. I even had mail bounce from
yahoo groups (!) when some swabby put in a new server wrong.

For around USD $33/year fastmail.fm will host your mx record, and that
includes their usual swish email account of 600 MB, imap, lots of
goodies. Maybe not the cheapest, but one of the best.

Jens