Proebsting's Law

Hakim Cassimally hakim.cassimally at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 08:20:42 GMT 2005

Proebsting's page on this gives some links to other articles,
including one with a defense of compiler research.  To summarize what
I understood (very little), Proebsting's estimate is actually rather
generous to the compiler researchers; but even so, there is value in
the research, because of changing processor technology - an enormous
amount of effort has to be expended simply to keep the status quo in
compiler speed, never mind improving it.

osfameron