Proebsting's Law

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Wed Dec 14 19:17:31 GMT 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:10:39PM +0000, Simon Wistow wrote:
> How much optimisation can you do to the basic compiler cycle. Have there
> been amazing new innovations in Tokenising?

Unless the application under test is a compiler itself, I don't think
that rewriting the lexer is going to make much difference to the speed
of the generated code.

Have there been amazing innovations in code generation?  Well, there
have definitely been significant changes in the CPU architectures on
which the output runs, and I would be surprised if code generators had
not changed quite a lot to take advantage of that.

-dan