Proebsting's Law

Matt Sergeant msergeant at messagelabs.com
Wed Dec 14 22:24:51 GMT 2005

On 14 Dec 2005, at 11:44, Jacqui Caren wrote:

> Matt Sergeant wrote:
>> Sadly Moore's Law doesn't speed up the 2000-ish servers we have out
>> in data centres.
>
> Given the lifespan of these systems (a few years max) and their cost
> how many companies purchase, rent or use leaseback?

Depends which end of the scale you're at. At this end I bet hardly
anyone rents because they have serious security issues to consider.
Plus we get economies of scale doing it ourselves.

FWIW, we seem to get about 5 years out of a server, so compiler
optimisations (more importantly gcc improvements) have made a
difference to us.

Matt.