[OT] Prime Minister's "Events" quote

Robin Barker Robin.Barker at npl.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 16:23:30 GMT 2005

Nigel

This is the top google hit for <events dear boy events>.
Looks like Harold Macmillan is your man - as I suspected.

http://www.michael.fabricant.mp.co.uk/view-0060.ihtml

Harold Wilson, former prime minister (for my younger readers !), pipe smoker and Gannex coat wearer, famously said "A week is a long time in politics". And when another prime minister, Harold Macmillan, was asked by a young journalist after a long dinner what can most easily steer a government off course, he answered "Events, dear boy. Events". In short, politics is unpredictable.

Robin