PostgreSQL v MySQL 5.1

Steve Sims steve at karmamusicgroup.com
Fri Dec 23 10:03:11 GMT 2005

On 22 Dec 2005, at 00:37, Aaron Crane wrote:
> <snip>
> As for speed, I've seen little evidence that either MySQL+InnoDB or
> PostgreSQL is significantly faster than the other.  PostgreSQL 8.1
> seems
> much faster on some complex queries than MySQL 4.0 with MyISAM, but I
> haven't done any comparisons against newer MySQL releases.

We've been running our web site on a MySQL 4.0 database with MyISAM
tables, and are currently in the process of migrating to PostgreSQL
8.1 purely on the basis that it's faster.

We have two queries that our site uses that, under MySQL 4.0, take
over 20 seconds to execute on a dual 2GHz G5 XServe.  Some
experimentation showed that under MySQL 5.0 these same queries would
execute in about 6 seconds.  PostgreSQL on a single 1.25GHz G4
machine would execute the same query in just 4 seconds.

This is not all that complex a query - it only involves 4 tables.

Where PostgreSQL really shines above MySQL is when multiple copies of
this query are being handled at the same time.  If there's 3 of these
queries running concurrently then Postgres will deliver its results
in about 12 seconds, i.e. 3 times the amount of time.  Three of these
queries under MySQL however results in them taking about 3 minutes to
complete.  The performance of MySQL just continues to degrade if you
add on more queries - run about 8 of them together and you'll be
waiting over an hour for the results.  PostgreSQL just scales up as
you would expect - 8 queries will complete in 32 seconds.

Steve