[OT] Useable BIOS RAID 1 on the cheap?

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Tue Jan 17 14:26:17 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 06:21:12PM +0000, Jacqui Caren wrote:
> Steve Mynott wrote:
> >I guess my best bet might be the 3ware cards but they are expensive.
>
> I saw an IDE raid controller card at maplin for 20UKP (in a "sale"
> bucket). I assume these are part hard and part soft.

Most budget RAID controllers (including just about all the IDE ones) are
fairly crappy.

IMHO, you are far better off using software RAID under Linux. Especially when
combined with LVM, when the combo becomes *really* nifty.

tjc

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world