[OT] Useable BIOS RAID 1 on the cheap?

Jacqui Caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 17 18:57:45 GMT 2006

Dirk Koopman wrote:
> A friend of mine is a disc speed freak and he is reporting bonnie++
> throughputs of 110MB / sec read speeds (slightly less on write) on a
> three disk software raid 0 setup (AMD 64 3500, 1GB RAM, 3 Seagate
> Barracuda 300Mb SATA/150, NVidia chipset).

"Da boss" installed soft raid on some AMD64 dev boxes and on a core
server holding a large(ish) tree SMB'd to everyone as well as
nfs mounted on almost all other ~ixen.

A find on the tree now takes a few minutes instead of ~1/2 hr to run.

'cvc' (a pruned cvs diff) takes seconds instead of minutes.

For development, this makes one hell of a difference.

Jacqui

So, given that our boxes are generally not pushed to CPU/Mem limits
soft raid works for us :-)