[OT] Useable BIOS RAID 1 on the cheap?

Paul Orrock paulo at digitalcraftsmen.net
Wed Jan 18 12:53:51 GMT 2006

Chris Benson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:28:45AM +0000, Jacqui Caren wrote:
>
>>Taking a poll - do people here leave (home/desk) machines running 24x7
>>or do they power down when done for the day.
>
> Last year I got a couple of power monitors and since 2006-01-01 have
> been noting meter readings so I may soon be moving into the
> 'turn-em-off' camp.

It can get very scary, very quickly when you do that. Esp when you turn off everything else in your house (inc the fridge) as a quick test and the meter spins round like it's a catherine wheel. I've got two x dual screen machines at home (running 24x7) and bought two 650VA UPS units (we get a lot of short power cuts) one for each. Even with the PC and screens off, the UPS drinks power like no tomorrow. I now run both machines off the one UPS and turn off the screen UPS completely at night. That seems to have slowed the catherine wheel down a bit.

regards,

Paul

--
Paul Orrock, Lead Developer