O'Reilly User Group Newsletter - 16-05

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Jan 19 22:47:07 GMT 2006

I'm hopelessly late with this.  Sorry.  I blame Muttley.

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 10:41:15AM -0000, Josette Garcia wrote:

> O'Reilly UK User Group Programme
> NEWSLETTER
> Issue 16-05
>
> Within a week, this newsletter will be available to be downloaded in pdf format from the Developers Group web site at <http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/1605.pdf>.

The rest of this is just my selected highlights ...

> ***TCP Tuning and Network Troubleshooting
> Information doesn't travel across networks in one big chunk--it goes in little packets wrapped in packets wrapped in packets. Sure, you know that, but did you know that a bit of measuring and a bit of tweaking can improve your networking performance by two orders of magnitude?
> <http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/11/17/tcp_tuning.html>

> ***Ruby the Rival
> Bruce Tate's Beyond Java picks Ruby as the front-runner among languages that could succeed Java among enterprise developers. But what's so great about Ruby--and frankly, what's wrong with Java? We asked some top Java bloggers, authors, and developers what they think of Ruby's challenge.
> <http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/11/16/ruby-the-rival.html>

Books available for review:

None!  Because I'm still waiting for too many reviews.  I know I've
threatened to name n shame in the past and not dunnit, but I'm going to
this time.  You have two weeks - that is until the next social.  You
naughty NAUGHTY people.

"IMO, the primary historical significance of Unix is that it marks the
time in computer history where CPUs became so cheap that it was possible
to build an operating system without adult supervision."
                         -- Russ Holsclaw in a.f.c