Names to ids

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Wed Jan 25 14:11:46 GMT 2006

Simon Wistow wrote:
> I need to turna filename into a numeric id in a repeatable manner (i.e
> the same filename must always produce the same number).

It doesn't matter if two file names map to the same number?

> My first thought (md5_hex the name and then hex the reuslt to get an
> integer) gets an overflow error unless I truncate to the first 8
> characters.

If you want all the bits to influence the outcome, then xor the 4 words
of the MD5 checksum together. Something like

     my $number = 0;
     $number ^= $_ for unpack 'N4', md5($filename);

should do the trick.

DAvid

--
"It's overkill of course, but you can never have too much overkill."