DBI question: binding params in HAVING clauses

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Jan 26 16:06:43 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 03:16:04PM +0000, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 26 Jan 2006, at 15:01, Jeff Anderson wrote:
> >Like so?
> >my $sql = sprintf('
> >     SELECT COUNT(actors.name), countries.name
> >       FROM actorsXcountries, countries, actors
> >      WHERE actors.id = actorsXcountries.actorid AND
> >            countries.id = actorsXcountries.countryid
> >   GROUP BY countries.name
> >     HAVING COUNT(actors.name) < %d
> >   ORDER BY COUNT(actors.name)
> >', $dbh->quote(3));

Oh, so nothing magic.

Using sprintf when we can just interpolate a value into a string seems a
bit like overkill in this case.  This is perl, not C!

> What's the point of $dbh->quote() when %d can only expand to an
> integer anyway? Or rather what's the point of using sprintf()?

$dbh->quote(3) expands to '3', which then doesn't work in the HAVING
clause, presumably because it then tries to compare an int to a string.

Do I need to report that as a bug too? :-)

    There are many different types of sausages.  The best are
    from the north of England.  The wurst are from Germany.
      -- seen in alt.2eggs...