Profiling Perl app memory usage

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Thu Feb 2 12:38:42 GMT 2006

IvorW wrote:
>> Is anyone aware of anything that makes it easier to portably
>> track a Perl app's memory usage?
>
> Try Devel::Size for size.

Devel::Size is great for individual variables, but doesn't give you a total
memory footprint.

> There's also the Devel::Leak family of modules

Similar problem.

They're great when you know you have a problem, and want to track down
exactly what the problem is.  But what I need to start with is something
that makes it easy to determine that there is a problem.

Being able to do (hypothetical):

     print $process->resident_set_size();

There's Memchmark, on CPAN, but the approach is hacky (run a sub { } in a
new process, and use Proc::ProcessTable), isn't accurate (the docs talk
about 30% error bars).

Hmm.  Proc::ProcessTable instead of qx{ ps ... $$} might work.