"fixing" RCS files

Tara Andrews chrysaphi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 23:44:13 GMT 2006

> For a particular comment style in a group of perl files I have something
> like this would work but obviously it needs to be adjusted for your
> files:

This is a bit closer to what I was after; thanks.

Actually the info on how to tell rcs not to do keyword expansion on
checkin is entirely irrelevant to what I want.  I don't want to check
in a new rev of the file.  I want to snip all the $Log:$ info out of
the file,v and pretend it was never there.  And I don't want to
otherwise alter the state of the repository.

This CVS repository is full of files with log keyword expansion, and
most of them don't belong to me.  I just help maintain the repository
and want to clean the crap out prior to a cvs -> svn migration, and
prior to a few nasty merges that loom in the future for some hapless
developers.

I suppose the only thing that might actually work in an automated
fashion is to generate a bunch of diffs for each file, from rev 1.1
through each revision to HEAD, perform surgery on the diffs, and
re-apply them.  I had thought, though, that since I can see how to do
the RCS surgery manually, and since it seems like this would have been
a problem others had run into, there might already be an existing
solution.

-tara