Is $Log$ a good things ? was Re: "fixing" RCS files

Jonathan Stowe jns at gellyfish.com
Fri Feb 3 15:29:36 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 14:52, andrew Black wrote:
> Dominic Mitchell wrote:
>

> > The problem with $Log$ (and one of the reasons that it's discouraged
> > these days) is that there is no clear end to what it's inserted into the
> > file.  I think that the only guarantee is that you'll have the same
> > comment character on all following lines.  Which isn't much help if
> > you've got comments immediately after $Log$ anyway.
>
> That is interesting.,  I quite like $Log$, having for years relied on
> manually inserted change history that doesnt always match the version
> control system.  Maybe a compromise is to dictate that there should be
> an end marker after the $Log$.

I used to be in favour of it, but now find it more of a nuisance than
anything. The log information is readily available (and in a more usable
form) from CVS anyway and if you want to impart the change information
from the logs in a release of the software there are tools available
that make this easy like cvs2cl which can be made to emit a ChangeLog
file in a variety of different formats.

/J\