Profiling Perl app memory usage

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Sat Feb 4 15:28:30 GMT 2006

Nik Clayton wrote:
> Is anyone aware of anything that makes it easier to portably track a Perl
> app's memory usage?

[...]

> Walking through CPAN modules that match /devel/i and /prof/i I can't see
> anything that can reliably extract this information.
>
> Anyone know of anything, or can suggest an approach?

Phil Pennock suggested I look at BSD::Resource, which seems to be a good
fit.  Thanks Phil.

So, here's Devel::Memory.  It's very simple minded, and designed (hardcoded)
for SVN::Web at the moment.  I'd appreciate feedback on any additional
features that might make this useful (and a better name), as well as
suggestions for a good API.

Here's the commit that created it:

     http://jc.ngo.org.uk/svnweb/jc/revision?rev=781

You can check out the code from that link too.

Usage is (assuming the directory is in @INC) just

     perl -d:Memory app-you-want-to-profile