site text search

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Wed Feb 8 22:23:10 GMT 2006

On 8 Feb 2006, at 21:58, Minty wrote:
> Personally, I reckon fulltext indexing in mysql could be the way to go
> : anyone got any stats on index sizes and effect on query speed
> performance?

Two nice things about searching against the MySQL database:

* you're only searching the content - not any boilerplate that
   appears on every page

* if you have a site that presents multiple views of the same
   data (e.g. articles sorted by date, by subject, by keyword)
   then a crawler based indexer will index each item many times
   - once for each view in which it appears; MySQL will only have
   a single copy of the data.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net