site text search

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 10:30:16 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 10:45 +0100, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Feb 08, 2006, at 22:58, Minty wrote:
> > http://www.xapian.org/
>
> I haven't used it myself yet but I've heard many strong
> recommendations on Xapian, and its Perl binding Search::Xapian. It's
> been on pile of things to test for a while.

I am, just for now, using http://swish-e.org One of the reasons for this
is that I have used it (long ago) in the past and also I find it (much)
faster and much easier to have several instances of than htdig. The fact
that is does not use a whole 512Mb (+ all the swap and then core dump
and fail) on a website of about 30MB is also a point in its favour. I
have used it on much larger ones.

However, I see that xapian is very similar and may be a better search
engine as such, it is certainly more modern. So I shall have a look at
that in the next few days.

Java, however good, is not an option I am afraid.

Dirk