Upgrading DB apps

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Tue Feb 14 12:41:10 GMT 2006

I have a app that relies on you having installed it and then run
setup to create a table in a database. In fact the app has several
plugins and each plugin has at least one database table.

What I'd like to do is make it so that if you upgrade to a newer version
of a plugin then it migrates your data from an earlier version of the
schema to the latest version.

Since plugins may be distributed seperately from the main app I'd like
to make the upgrade mechanism available to all plugins - external or
'core'.

Is there a sane known way to do this?

Would the requirement that you can't upgrade more than one step at a
time (like for example requiring that you apply patches in order) be too
onerous a restriction (i.e you can't jump straight from 1.0 to 3.0 you
must go 1.0 -> 2.0 -> 3.0)

Simon