[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

Lusercop `the.lusercop' at lusercop.net
Wed Feb 22 13:23:26 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:12:36PM +0200, Jonathan McKeown wrote:

Wow, you still exist! When are you coming back to London?

> If you want to localise a value, don't use a ``global'' assignment and make
> the maintenance programmer search for the other half of your intention: use
> the facility the language provides, and put the information in one place.

I don't like the use of the magic variables either in production code.

If it's not a magic variable, the question is more, what is this global
variable doing in the first place, that it needs localising?

> my localises a name in space; local localises a value in time. There are two
> keywords because these are two different things.

I understand the difference, thanks. :-)

My point stands: how often have you used it in production code, apart from
the pattern of local $/, which I don't like for other reasons (mainly
inefficiency on reads)? And, of course, if you are using it, hopefully it's
tightly coupled to a very reusable module rather than scattered all over the
code.

--
Lusercop.net - LARTing Lusers everywhere since 2002