[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

O'Shaughnessy, Jamie jamieosh at amazon.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 13:52:53 GMT 2006

This is exactly it, there are two reasons I would ask technical questions at interview:
- to find out the depth of knowledge and experience of a specific technology
- to find out how the person would go about filling holes in their knowledge

So if someone doesn't know the difference between my/local - but gave me an answer like below, I'd be more impressed than if they explained the difference badly.

Demonstrating good problem resolution skills is more important than specific technical skills. I'd say the same for good interpersonal skills. If candidate can demonstrate they are a competent and quick learner, that is a massive plus.

On occasion, for some jobs, you do want specific technical knowledge. Right now, someone with a good clear understanding of Perl would be a lot more useful to me than someone who hasn't.

My original point was more about the apparent lack of good developers, who are not just technical, but are more rounded - maybe fat developers don't want to work in Slough though ;)