[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

Lusercop `the.lusercop' at lusercop.net
Wed Feb 22 17:08:53 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:54:58PM +0000, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2006, at 15:27, Lusercop wrote:
>> Seriously, I hope you're not suggesting that full use of $_ with
>> localisation is good software engineering practice when programming
>> in Perl. I really hope you're trolling.
> No, I'm not trolling. I use $_ whenever I feel its use is clear and
> won't make the code significantly more fragile.

In which case, why are you needing to localise it? Any situation where
you need to localise it means that the scope of it is too large.

I'd humbly suggest that this "makes the code more fragile", but perhaps
I'm just talking as someone whose main commercial programming experience
up to a year ago was maintenance programming.

--
Lusercop.net - LARTing Lusers everywhere since 2002