[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

Peter Hickman peter at semantico.com
Thu Feb 23 12:03:51 GMT 2006

There is nothing wrong with higher order functions but there is a lot
wrong with not using what is available. I once saw someone write the
following.

my @page_links = make_page_links(@pages);

All very clear is it not, but you now have to ask "what does
make_page_links() actually do?". Here we find

sub make_page_links {
    return join(' - ', @_);
}

Just what is the point of this, it did not even get called in other
parts of the code. He claimed he was 'abstracting away the complexity of
the code'.

Not as bad as a PHP programmer who didn't know about the Perl join
function and wrote his own in an effort to prove that coding in Perl was
difficult in a Python newsgroup and thereby showed his lack of skill in
three languages all at once :-)

Idiomatic code is very good.

--
Peter Hickman.

Semantico, Lees House, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
t: 01273 722222
f: 01273 723232
e: peter.hickman at semantico.com
w: www.semantico.com