[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Thu Feb 23 13:22:05 GMT 2006

On 23 Feb 2006, at 12:58, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> Beauty, in programming, generally equates to simplicity and
> obviousness
> written down well.

Of course. But both simplicity and obviousness are to some extent in
the eye of the beholder... Things become obvious through familiarity;
simplicity too is subjective.

So as long as we keep it abstract we can, of course, agree - but once
we start talking about specifics one person's simple will be another
person's frustratingly opaque. While there's certainly consensus
about these things there's no objective metric for them.

> There are no other rules. It does not matter whether it is OO or uses
> global variables or, indeed, the occasional 'local'. Provided the
> program "works", is simple, obvious and written down well, in my eyes:
> it could well be beautiful.

I agree.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net