DAB [was Re: Books & Audiobooks (was [JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer)]

James Mastros james at mastros.biz
Thu Feb 23 14:58:24 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 13:49 +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 01:41:18PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
>
> > The BBC's Real streams are poor quality, and incomplete. DAB isn't much
> > better. I'm specifically interested in the DVB-T stream, which is most
>
> I fail to understand why they're expecting us to shift either from FM to DAB,
> or analogue to digital TV, given that the quality on the digital is soooo
> much worse. (use more 'bandwidth', auntie. And why does it pixelate so badly
> on a cross fade?)
The quality for me on digital TV is /much/ better then analog.  This is
probably because I don't live within the M25.  Really, there is more to
the UK then just London.  Yes, you sometimes see pixelization during
fades.  This is far better then seeing static the entire time.

It does annoy me greatly that I see pixelization in my DVDs, though,
along with "throb".  Please, can't someone think of the viewers, and fix
the damn encoders?  DVDs aren't a broadcast medium, you can just spend
more bandwidth on the problem.

And yes, I also think the freed bandwidth will be used for nothing I'll
see much benifit from, and the money won't lower my taxes (including
license fee), or improve services.  That's what government always does,
no matter what the government.

(Also, I wonder when the hell people who aren't on crystal palace will
start seeing full EPG data.  How hard is it to do on all the xmitters
what you've been doing for months in London?)

	-=- James Mastros