Replacing the camera

Struan Donald lpm at exo.org.uk
Thu Feb 23 16:45:48 GMT 2006

* at 23/02 15:58 +0000 Jason Tang said:
> On Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:49:52PM +0000, Jacqui Caren wrote:
> > Jason Tang wrote:
> > >
> > >D50 is a 6MP camera and shoots raw files which you can comfortably blow
> > >images up to A2.
> >
> > So 9Mp is overkill?
>
> I would say the image file format that the camera saves the image as
> the important factor rather than more MP is better. Raw is basically
> what the sensor sees and jpeg as we know is a compressed image format
> where detail is lost if scaled up or down.
>
> Any other photographers out there feel free to correct me if i at m wrong

I was under the impression it was as much about sensor size as
anything. If you have a large sensor ( as in the D50 ) then the wee
image capturing[0] things weren't as wee and hence were a bit more
sensitive and so overall image quality was better.

This has a lot about that sort of thing:

http://luminous-landscape.com/essays/pixel-count.shtml

Of course, the fact that RAW isn't compressed in a lossy format and
so on also helps.

[0] photosites? pixels?