Replacing the camera

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Thu Feb 23 18:41:34 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 06:24:23PM +0000, Jason Tang wrote:
> On Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 04:06:48PM +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
> > Jason Tang wrote:
> >
> > >?429 for a Nikon D50 with 18-55mm lens. It is a dSLR tho. Not
> > >everyone's cup of tea
> > >
> > >http://www.warehouseexpress.com/
> >
> > Oooh. See, now you've got me looking at the body-only version for ?350
> > and wondering if my old F70 lenses will work ok.
>
> I think they will both fit and work on manual. There has been weird things
> with autofocusing on teh AF lenses.

I'm pretty sure the AF on the lenses will work fine.. I've got some old AF
gear from the early 90s that works fine on my D70. Meters fine too.

The thing to watch out for is with old, fully-manual, lenses. These won't
meter on the D70 or D50. (They will, however, work on the D200 or D2.)
However, you can use the histogram on the LCD (D70 only I think) to judge the
exposure yourself. Before I picked up an AF telephoto, I was using my
venerable Nikkor AI f4 200mm with the D70, and took some great photos.. the
lens might be older than I am, but it's still damn sharp.

tjc

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world