[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

Brian Wisti brianwisti at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 18:56:49 GMT 2006

--- Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:

> Lusercop <`the.lusercop'@lusercop.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > I'm not trolling. I really think that writing subs that pretend to
> be map
> > and grep or similar is not a way to, in general, write maintainable
> > code...
>
> Python and Java are that way --->

Whoa now, let's not be using the "J" word like that!

> Perl is not always elegant, and it may have mantraps in dusty
> corners, but
> it usually gets the job done and it often does a good job if treated
> with
> respect.
>
> Avoiding idiomatic Perl because you can't understand it, or have such
> a low
> opinion of Perl programmers and think they can't understand it, is
> doing
> everybody an injustice.

Could be wrong, but I don't think "idiomatic" is the same as
"dogmatic." Besides, doesn't Perl have more than enough idioms to go
around?

I stick to "my" whenever possible, "our" when I need to, and "local"
only when any other way would make the code a burden to maintain . So
far, I think I've used "local" three times in production code over
seven years. And yet, I've never heard folks complain that my code
veered too far from the common idioms.

Kind Regards,

Brian Wisti
http://coolnamehere.com/