Replacing the camera

Jacqui Caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 23 20:58:58 GMT 2006

Toby Corkindale wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 03:49:52PM +0000, Jacqui Caren wrote:
>>So 9Mp is overkill?

> There's more than just megapixels at play here. THink of the CPU megahertz

I am used ot that - the current camera takes a long time just to start
and has terrible shutter lag, then time to write. Having to ask people
to stand still for what feels like minutes *after* I have pressed
the button is embarrassing.

> There are issues about lens clarity and CCD/CMOS noise to be aware of.

With a bridge camera I can screw a filter over the lens and just replace
it as it gets scuffed etc. With a compact I know it will get messed up
real quick. Our APS jobbie has a nice fold-away lens - that is the only
reason it has survived so long :-)

fx - fuzzy wavy memory lines

At college they had a very expensive camera that was loaned to the head
of engineering. He saw 'oil' on the lens, unscrewed the filter and
cleaned it - he ruined the bloom on a very expensive lens.

Needless to say the photography dept never leant engineering anything
more expensive that a box brownie after that.

> but if you don't need those
> things, then it's probably not worth paying extra for it.

It would be nice to have something really nice, but we do not as a
family treat "stuff" very well.
What I would like and what would be used are becoming very clear :-(

Jacqui