DAB [was Re: Books & Audiobooks (was [JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer)]

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Feb 24 10:17:06 GMT 2006

Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> That should read: IPods. 128Kbps.

It's nothing to do with iPods. MP3s came into fashion in the mid to late
1990s when a big hard disk was a few gigabytes and were all paying per
minute for 28.8kb/s dialup. There was definite downward pressure on file
size and 128kb/s was considered the best compromise.

Memes take ages to die. 128kb/s is still considered "best" by many even
though technology has moved on and you can keep a couple of hundred
uncompressed CDs on an iPod these days.

--
The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are
permitted to remain children all our lives.