Preventing missing dependencies

Robin Berjon robin.berjon at expway.fr
Sun Feb 26 20:05:07 GMT 2006

On Feb 26, 2006, at 20:54, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> On 26/02/06, Robin Berjon <robin.berjon at expway.fr> wrote:
>> One thing that could be nice is to have this check in make dist (that
>> is, in all modules that have some code run for make dist). It's a
>> safe assumption that module authors want to fix missing dependencies,
>> and will be happy to be warned that for the nth time they forgot to
>> require DBI, LWP, or XML::SAX. I sure would be.
>
> Surely make test rather than make dist - it should be relatively
> simple to write a test, that checks dependancies against either
> Makefile.PL or META.yaml.
>
> I'm guessing there are all the required pieces on CPAN to knock
> together a Test::PreRequsitites within a couple of hours

The reason I prefer dist over test is because using the latter means
one more thing to remember, when the problem is folks forgetting
something in the first place :) Having make dist issue a "WARNING:
used module Foo not listed in prerequisites" would work either way,
and I can't think of a case in which it'd be harmful.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist