Printers [was Virgin.net scam]

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 17:56:17 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 17:16 +0000, Nigel Rantor wrote:
> Jacqui Caren wrote:
> >
> > And I hope epson is also off the xmas list - they are threatening
> > TP cart manufs again - see thereg.
>
> I spit on Epson and their damnable colour inkjets that consume ink like
> drug addicts.
>
> I am much happier with my Kyocera b&w laser...who bloody needs colour
> anyway.

Working from the starting position that I hate all printers, I have to
say that I am moderately impressed with this Canon IP4000 printer that I
bought a while back.

It has yet to jam, regardless of how thick, thin or just plain different
the paper that goes in it (eg interleaving 240gsm photocard with 80gsm
paper). It seems to consume ink at a reasonably tolerable rate (for a
photo printer). I have not had to clean the heads even after one month
of non-use (I was in Oz). It does (not hugely quick, but tolerable)
duplex printing. It has two feeds, one in the bottom in which I keep 6x4
photopaper and the usual A4 top feed, selectable in linux and windows.

It cost me £99.

The paper handling is better than any laser printer I have ever used
(never mind owned). I recommend them.

As an addendum, I have now printed a couple of thousand photos in
various sizes and there is no difference (that I can see) between the
first one and the last. A friend of mine has an Epson R800 (rough
equivalent, they say) and he is on his third print head and I don't
believe he does as much printing as I do.

Dirk