Devel::LeakTrace

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Wed Mar 1 11:38:39 GMT 2006

I started looking at Devel::LeakTrace[1] a couple of days ago. It
wouldn't easily build on my Mac because it needs glib (it uses glib
hashes internally) so I chucked it on a Linux box and - while it
seems to do what is says on the tin - it makes any non-trivial script
run like a dog.

So I decided to see if I could fix it. I replaced its dependency on
the glib hash with a standalone hash implementation I'd written for
another project, got it working correctly (I think - the tests are
broken too...) and started investigating the performance problems. To
cut a long story short the currently implementation is roughly O(N^2)
with all that implies...

Anyway, now I'm this far in I might as well fix it properly - but
that's basically going to mean a complete re-write - to be blunt it's
not a large module and most of it is currently wrong :)

I mailed the author, Richard Clamp, a couple of days ago but have had
no reply. If I can't get hold of him by the time I have a release
ready what should I do? I could release it as a different module -
but that seems to be a needless pollution of module namespace. What's
the protocol for replacing a module which - although it sort of works
- is unusable in most practical situations?

[1] http://search.cpan.org/~rclamp/Devel-LeakTrace-0.05

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net