[ANNOUNCE] [REMINDER] Social - Tomorrow, Thursday March 2nd @ The Star, Belgravia

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Mar 6 21:10:07 GMT 2006

Adam Auden <adam at bimble.net> wrote:
> On 3/2/06, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
[...]
>> Now I share a village with UKS and it's equally bad.
> To which their startling array of UPS and diesel generating equipment is
> testament.

There is that. Another interpretation is that they've actually bought enough
power backup for long outages, unlike some tinpot ISPs I've encountered.

Have you seen the new gennie, installed about six months ago? It's quite
impressive.

>> I'm not sure whether it's the ISP's power draw helping the fuses to blow,
>> or just Murphy having a laugh.
> I can't explain why Fulham had problems, but rural Warks was never
> destined to have the most stable power supply in the world now, was it? :)

That bit of London has too high a population density for the power provided.
Round here, Central Networks cut corners on the network, but UKS has been
enough of a drain that they've finally decided to stop bodging it and are
going to fix it properly.

I'm mildly amused by there being "Warning, high voltage overhead wires"
signs being plastered all over the road. Peer up into the sky and there's
bugger all except a telegraph pole feeding. 48VDC with occasional bursts of
90VAC is not high voltage in my book. The HT cables are buried.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key