Groovy Work

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Tue Mar 7 08:32:00 GMT 2006

Paul Makepeace raised the stakes:
> I dunno.. I raise you one cellphone, and a skiing trip in a couple of weeks.
> The team meeting with Vint Cerf was pretty fascinating too.

My employer provides free food (roasted vegetable tortellini today),
beer, wine, fruit and other snacks - it's all just in the kitchen area
and we help ourselves.  I have a great office with my own sound system,
and whatever computer equipment I want (an iMac and studio monitors just
for playing iTunes?  No problem!).  We have a games room, a number of
chill-out rooms complete with beds in case anyone wants to take a nap
and shower facilities for those (like me) who have all their best ideas
in the shower (and no-one bats an eyelid if you walk around the office
dripping wet and naked).  We have company cellphones, expense accounts,
cars and bikes at our disposal, creche facilities, family-friendly
flexible working hours, and they're paying for a snowboarding trip to
France next week for me *and* all the family.  The boss lets me go out
skateboarding whenever I want (assuming I also get my work done, of
course) and I'm shagging one of the more attractive female members of
the board.

I'm all in.

PS I'm self-employed, working from a home office and married to the
other director of the company.  But it's all true - I am by far the best
employer I've ever had  :-)