Perl/CPAN v. Ruby ?

Jonathan Peterson JPeterson at bmjgroup.com
Thu Mar 9 14:48:20 GMT 2006

> It's useful though, in the eternal fight with management and
> clients. REST, for
> example, by its mere existence as an acronym, has proved a valuable tool
in
> preventing the once inexorable rise of the idiocy of heavyweight SOAPy

However, most people I've come across use REST to mean 'Use GET or POST to
send function arguments, and return results in the body of the response in
some mutually agreed format'. Not necessarily a bad idea, but not actually
in the spirit of REST. Are people really using REST with HTTP PUT, and
DELETE methods?

We tried to use XMLRPC, which is easier and faster than SOAP, but it
doesn't appear to have been well adopted at large, and we are increasingly
finding everyone wants SOAP APIs. But SOAP is a PITA and always seems to
be slow. bleh.

Jon