Old DB systems (was Re: What's Wrong With ORM)

Robin Berjon robin.berjon at expway.fr
Fri Mar 24 16:29:47 GMT 2006

Hi,

On Mar 24, 2006, at 16:32, Nigel Hamilton wrote:
> It seems like eons ago that programmers suffered from limited
> diskspace ... back then normalisation was required to break things
> into multiple 'related' tables to avoid data being repeated. Thanks
> also to the tyranny of disk seek times and the need for indices the
> relational model was born along with the database management
> systems to police it.

As it happens, I'm now looking into working on a project for which
knowledge of how DBs of the old days (say C-ISAM) worked internally
would be useful. Does anyone here happen to have pointers, knowledge
to share, etc.? It's all fun and games to have loads of disk space,
RAM, CPU, and whatever else until you try to work with a feature
phone :)

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist