What's Wrong With ORM

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Mar 25 01:15:48 GMT 2006

Nigel Hamilton <nigel at turbo10.com> wrote:
> Why do we even have an ORM problem?
> It seems like eons ago that programmers suffered from limited diskspace
> ... back then normalisation was required to break things into multiple
> 'related' tables to avoid data being repeated. Thanks also to the tyranny
> of disk seek times and the need for indices the relational model was born
> along with the database management systems to police it.

> But things are moving on - we've got lots of disk and tons of RAM. Who
> needs tight 70 pants when you can hang loose? ;-)

A relational database is a collection of facts, and normalising them is a
way to ensure there are no contradictions. If you think DRY is just a
memory-saving optimisation, you've rather missed the point.

--
Vice is its own reward. It is virtue which, if it is to be marketed with
consumer appeal, must carry Green Shield stamps.