HP laptops (was Re: Request for Experiences - Dell Inspiron 630M)

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Mon Mar 27 11:32:30 BST 2006

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 02:37:49PM +0000, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> I have to say I would be gutted to move to a different laptop after
> this one as it's slim, looks nice and is very comfortable to use, the
> only thing missing is the ability to software suspend from linux -
> it's possible but I can't be bothered to play with it.

I have an HP/compaq nc4000 (now a year old, was about 600 from Morgan
when I bought it) which I'm pretty happy with.  Never got the
suspend-to-ram working in Linux (which would be nice), but it
happily[*] suspends to disk using the in-kernel swsusp support (note
that this is not the same as "suspend2")

-dan

[*] "happily" after I hacked up the driver for the 3com pcmcia
wireless card a bit so that it didn't need to load card firmware from
the filesystem on a resume.  swsusp doesn't like that much