Testing with Apache/mod_perl

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Tue Mar 28 07:44:31 BST 2006

Is Apache::Test the current state of the art when it comes to testing that
web apps work as expected?

I'm working on fleshing out the test suite for SVN::Web.  I've already got
tests that verify that the basic functionality works, that generated links
are sane, and so on.

But I've been bitten a couple of times where I've made a change that's
broken mod_perl or mod_perl2 support.  Since mod_perl isn't an area of great
expertise for me I want to automate this so that I can't make the same
mistake twice[1]

Apache::Test looks like it might be the way to go.  But it doesn't seem to
play very nicely with Test::More, and comments like this in the documentation:

   Use Apache::TestMM in your Makefile.PL to set up your distribution
   for testing.

give me the fear.  I've already got my distribution set up, and it doesn't
use ExtUtils::MakeMaker...

Am I setting myself up for pain, or is there a nice simple approach to doing
this that I've overlooked?

[1] Making new and interesting mistakes is, of course, part of the job.