Blosxom and friends

Chris Devers cdevers at pobox.com
Wed Mar 29 00:09:31 BST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Dominic Mitchell wrote:

> > Je 2006-03-28 22:02:17 +0100, David Cantrell skribis:
> >
> > > They serve different purposes.  RSS is a subscription to read
> > > something, but timeliness is of no consequence.  I want email
> > > notification so I can whack comment spammers.  I read my email
> > > more often than my RSS thingy runs, and I want to be able to whack
> > > them as soon as possible.
>
> On my wordpress install, all comments go to the moderation queue and
> only get published when I approve.  It's the only safe way...

Moreover, WordPress 2.x bundles Akismet for comment spam filtering.

    <>http://akismet.com/>

Since upgrading from WP 1.x, I've only had one spam that got to the
moderation queue in the first place. I've got a low traffic, seldom
updated blog, but for months now I've been getting half-a-dozen blog
spams per day (and basically zero legit comments). Since upgrading, the
spam is still coming in at the same rate but I never see it any more
unless I manually go check the spam queue. I also I haven't noticed any
false positives, though that might be more likely to come up if I was
getting more ham comments.

In any case, I've been happy with both Akismet & WordPress. Yes, it's
PHP [hack! spit!] and yes it depends on MySQL, but setup was dirt simple
and it's been very easy to manage ever since installing it.

--
Chris Devers
DO NOT LEAVE IT IS NOT REAL