Blosxom and friends

Chris Devers cdevers at
Wed Mar 29 00:09:31 BST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Dominic Mitchell wrote:

> > Je 2006-03-28 22:02:17 +0100, David Cantrell skribis:
> >
> > > They serve different purposes.  RSS is a subscription to read
> > > something, but timeliness is of no consequence.  I want email
> > > notification so I can whack comment spammers.  I read my email
> > > more often than my RSS thingy runs, and I want to be able to whack
> > > them as soon as possible.
> On my wordpress install, all comments go to the moderation queue and
> only get published when I approve.  It's the only safe way...

Moreover, WordPress 2.x bundles Akismet for comment spam filtering.

Since upgrading from WP 1.x, I've only had one spam that got to the
moderation queue in the first place. I've got a low traffic, seldom
updated blog, but for months now I've been getting half-a-dozen blog
spams per day (and basically zero legit comments). Since upgrading, the
spam is still coming in at the same rate but I never see it any more
unless I manually go check the spam queue. I also I haven't noticed any
false positives, though that might be more likely to come up if I was
getting more ham comments.

In any case, I've been happy with both Akismet & WordPress. Yes, it's
PHP [hack! spit!] and yes it depends on MySQL, but setup was dirt simple
and it's been very easy to manage ever since installing it.

Chris Devers