monday morning pick me up

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Mon Apr 3 14:04:36 BST 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 01:54:26PM +0100, Nigel Hamilton wrote:

> >>And they make good money from it.
> >
> >How do you know this?
> >

> A quick glance at my bookshelf shows 20 Perl OReilly books ... let's say I
> paid 25 pound each - that's 500 quid from just one programmer to
> "perl.com".

No. That's laughably stupid. Clearly you have no idea. You seem to be
confusing the publishing division of O'Reilly with the division that runs
the website, and totally ignoring the actual costs of manufacture of those
books you own OR THE AUTHOR ROYALTIES, let alone the earlier costs of
production.

For example, you're ignoring the fact that typically only 50% of the purchase
price of retail goods are paid to the manufacture. So of your books that's
only £250 to O'Reilly's publishing arm. And still zero to the website.

> >>All those costs are chicken feed compared to the revenue from Perl book
> >>sales.
> >
> >You know the figures for these? Including the profit margin?
> >

> So my broader point is moot, then?

Well, given you demonstrate complete ignorance about how retail trade works
I regret that I have to assume that your grasp on the reality of everything
else is about as good.

Nicholas Clark