Targeted CPAN SPAM

Robert Rothenberg robrwo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 11:20:25 BST 2006

On 04/06/2006 05:08 PM Paul Makepeace wrote:
> I get a ton of spam through my CPAN address but for the first time one
> that is actually aimed at perl & CPAN users. I for one am not
> particularly bothered about this.

I've gotten spam "targetted" for software developers before. Spam is spam.

Note that some spam houses sell software to scrape web sites for addresses.
A common use is to scrape the results of keyword searches from various
search engines.

Some things that make me mistrust this:

* It's sent by an anonymous "one of tech people". No name, address or
  phone number.

* There's various English grammar mistakes that imply the author of the
  message is not a native English speaker.  They don't put much care into
  their marketing, which implies a certain cluelessness.  (The prevalence of
  scams from certain parts of the world makes me suspicious of it as well.)

* Free domain names? Either there's a catch, or it's a scam.

* They didn't bother to include my name (something that would be easy to use
  with the CPAN authors file, using Perl).