Targeted CPAN SPAM

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Fri Apr 7 13:09:04 BST 2006

james at mastros.biz wrote:
> I wasn't a CPAN author at the time, but they mailed everyone in Linux (the
> kernel's) CREDITS file, regardless of their listed physical location, but
> the mail made it clear that the offer was only open to US residents.

I was a CPAN author at the time and got the letter.  The offer *was*
open to non-US residents but there were some extra restrictions relating
to tax or something similar.  Regardless, I still did rather well out of it.

As far as the spam issue goes, it's a thin line between:

   "We have selected you to receive this email because you are
    eligible to buy some shares"

and

   "We have selected you to receive this email because you are
    eligible to have a penis enlargement"

Both may be true, but that doesn't change the fact that they're
unsolicited emails selling products.  However, for obvious reasons I'm
rather glad I got the first email.