Sharing mouse & keyboard

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Wed Apr 19 11:08:37 BST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:59:01AM +0100, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:44:24AM +0100, David Dorward wrote:
>
> >VNC Server on the Mac
> >x2vnc (and the physical mouse) on the Linux box.
> >Than something like:
> >x2vnc -east myMac.example.com:0
> >(Assuming the mac screens are to the right of the Linux screens)
>
> Yup. Even works on Windows boxes should you have one. That's how my
> three-system setup works (Windows, Linux, Linux).
>
> I don't see what Synergy offers that VNC doesn't, at this point.

Synergy provides exactly what he was asking for - ie. the mouse and keyboard
focus will just bounce on over to the next computer's screen.

Solutions with VNC all involve forwarding graphics traffic back and forth
between machines, which is heavy. Sending mouse and keyboard commands around is
lightweight. As a bonus, the copy-and-paste works between machines too.

tjc

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world